Certain jobs come with expected dangers and risks, like mining. If you work in a mine, you know that there is always the risk that walls and ceilings could collapse, or equipment could falter and cause an injury. When that happens, are you still allowed to sue for personal injuries, or should it just be an accepted part of the job? Since many mining operations have unions, these are valid questions you could ask your union representatives before speaking to a personal injury lawyer. Typically, you will find out the following information after talking to both a union rep and an injury attorney.

Looking Over Your Union Contract

When you work in an industry such as mining and you have joined the union, you will need to look over your union contract before proceeding with personal injury lawsuits. Many union contracts make stipulations for the dangerous situations that can occur while on the job. Mining unions often provide for injuries and compensation to anyone stuck in a cave-in and provide for the surviving family members of miners. If you did not join a miner's union, do not have a union associated with your mining company, or do not have terms in your contract that apply to cave-ins and injuries on the job, then you can see a lawyer.

What the Lawyer Can Do

If you have already surveyed all applicable terms of a union contract and filed for worker's compensation, then a lawyer can take a look at your case and see what else he or she can do for you. When worker's compensation for miners is denied, you can sue the company that handles your worker's comp claims. Your personal injury attorney will explain fully the extent of what you can sue for and what may be covered as a reasonable expense for your injuries in your case. 

Additionally, if you could not get short-term or long-term disability benefits (either because you have not been with the mining company long enough to secure these benefits or because your claims were denied) you can also sue for whatever benefits you may have been entitled to normally. The bulk of your case should rest on suing either your employer or various insurance companies for failing to provide for your medical care and long-term care, if needed. Other routes and civil suits may be pursued if your primary cases are fully defeated. For assistance, talk to a lawyer like Kornfeld Robert B Inc PS.